[cfe-dev] clang 'emulating' VC++ on Windows predefined macros

Edward Diener via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 28 08:32:04 PDT 2016

On 3/28/2016 10:00 AM, Yaron Keren via cfe-dev wrote:
> Both __clang__ and _MSC_VER would be defined for clang-cl. In this mode
> you are more likely to use clang or gcc-compatible features rather than
> the VC bugs/workarounds, not all of which are emulated by clang-cl.

To what is _MSC_VER set when clang-cl is used ?

Does clang when using the -fms-compatibility or -fms-extensions flags
implement the 'emulated' VC++ non-standard preprocessor ? If so are both
__clang__ and _MSC_VER defined when that happens ?

For my purposes I am only concerned with detecting, at preprocessing
time, clang 'emulating' the non-standard VC++ preprocessor. I understand
that there are other C++ issues in this emulation of VC++, such as those
you have reported below.