[cfe-dev] We really need more community involvement with GSoC

Chandler Carruth via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 18 02:24:50 PDT 2016

Anton let me know that while we're seeing some pretty good GSoC proposals
(or at least quite good starting points), we're still really short on
mentors.

Please, everyone, consider if you have the expertise and could find the
bandwidth to mentor a GSoC student. If so, contact Anton and he'll set you
up.

Second, if you cannot be a GSoC mentor, please help the GSoC proposals turn
into excellent proposals so that the students are set up for success. If at
all possible, please try to prioritize this over the next few weeks. Search
on the def lists for GSoC and try to help the proposals shape up.

That's the short of it. Please help. Now I want to tell you a story if
you're still reading. ;]

Why should you care about GSoC? Hard to say. But I can tell you why *I*
care desperately for GSoC.

You see, without GSoC I would literally not be working on LLVM, and I'm not
sure Google would be involved with LLVM to the same extent. That's because
a long time ago, I was naive, idiotic student who thought LLVM was cool but
didn't even know how to program very well.

I learned how to actually contribute to LLVM usefully entirely because of
GSoC. And then I got my job at Google largely because of having worked with
some Google engineers during that GSoC on LLVM. Without this, I would
*literally not be where I am*, and I feel incredibly fortunate to have had
this opportunity.

For me, this is why I care so much about GSoC. The chance to have that
impact on someone's life is too incredibly. And so, for me, anything I can
do to help cause this kind of opportunity be available for the next round
of engineers is, IMO, amazingly valuable.

Anyways, maybe this inspires some of you to make the extra effort. I know
it is a *ton* of work, but it may well end up being one of the most
impactful ways to contribute.