[cfe-dev] [Openmp-dev] RFC: Proposing an LLVM subproject for parallelism runtime and support libraries

Jason Henline via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 14 17:26:09 PDT 2016

Sergos,

It looks a cool thought on providing high-level interface for CUDA-based
development.  By far, my understanding is that the StreamExecutor is
designed as an abstract runtime layer of target architecture for
offloading, still requiring the target specific code from the user. This is
something that contradicts the PPM in my understanding: the abstraction of
the programming itself. To make the parallel: you provide an inline
assembly to enable a user with best performance/flexibility while OpenMP is
rather a Fortran compiler that gives abstraction of machine at all. This I
would name the biggest difference between the projects. Am I right?

Yes, it sounds to me that you have the right idea here.

The document you refers to is published a year ago and there was a
significant progress since then, with prototype compiler implemented at
https://github.com/clang-omp. The implementation supports NVIDIA and x86
targets, providing an abstraction of the target platform. There are other
parties contributed to the design, yet we will see open source
contributions from them. Nevertheless, I can say that the design was
thoroughly reviewed by them and it is approved by the full list of authors
- hence, their targets are satisfied also. As per the design document, the
abstraction layer is the libomptarget library supposed to dispatch
different target binaries at runtime. Along with dispatching the library
keeps track of all data mapping between the host and all target devices,
hiding this from the user and thus removes the burden of bookkeeping. This
can be a good point for the StreamExecutor to integrate its interface.
Still we need to review both sides: the libomptarget interface provided to
the compiler and the StreamExecutor internal interfaces.

Thanks for letting me know about the implementation on GitHub. I will take
a look at the code for libomptarget there to see how I think it could work
with StreamExecutor. In general terms, I really like the idea of
StreamExecutor being able to call into libomptarget rather than
implementing the offloading itself, so I think it will be great if we can
get those details to work out.

Per my understanding, the OpenMP standard allows calling of functions in
target regions. Those functions can be generated for target either by the
compiler, where user annotate appropriate functions with "#pragma omp
declare target". But it also allows using of functions added to the target
binaries in any other way. For example, on Xeon PHI platform one can use
any shared library that is put on the device beforehand. As for the GPU and
other targets – binaries obtained from other compilers/build tools should
be passed to the target image link explicitly.

I was not aware that OpenMP had a mode for running code compiled by a
different compiler. That sounds very nice. I would like to learn more about
what the user interface looks like for this, specifically in the case of
CUDA.

The OpenMP programming model was aimed the program is written once, and
 can be compiled with many compilers for multi-targets, in addition, with
the same compiler it can be compiled in serial mode. This fits well for
complex build systems and provides support to number of targets with no
additional interference with build scripts. My understanding is that  the
StreamExecutor requires different targets to be built separately and
thereafter put together to allow offloading.

Yes, I think that is an accurate representation of StreamExecutor. Our hope
is to integrate StreamExecutor into clang itself so that clang can manage
the bundling of device code in object files and the launching of that code.

I see some other differences in programming model as well, for example, the
executor project you referred to supports C++ only. Is there any plans to
support plain C and Fortran? I would suggest we do a more analysis to
extend the existing library for support StreamExecutor.

We are only interested in supporting C++. One of the main goals of
StreamExecutor is to create a nice interface specifically for C++.

To collaborate is always a plus and having more interested parties is
beneficial both ways. I would like to start from the interfaces description
and review. The interface of the libomptarget (both compiler side and the
target RTL) are in the document. Could you prepare a small overview of the
(perhaps, supposed) StreamExecutor internal interfaces with CUDA and OpenCL
so that we can derive key common points of abstraction and try to map them
to libomptarget interface?

Yes I will prepare a little overview of the internal StreamExecutor
interface to CUDA and OpenCL. This interface is already well defined, so I
will just need to copy and paste some things to a document. I'll plan to
have that completed some time tomorrow so you can see how StreamExecutor
would like to interact with libomptarget.

Thanks very much for your input on this,
-Jason