[cfe-dev] Fast delegates in C++11/14/...

Tim Northover via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Mar 13 10:05:40 PDT 2016

Hi Miodrag,

On 13 March 2016 at 07:01, Miodrag Milanovic via cfe-dev
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Is there any document describing member function pointers and memory
> organisation for it per platform since there seems to be a different meaning
> at least on Intel and ARM ?

These are the two documents:

AArch32: http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.ihi0041e/IHI0041E_cppabi.pdf
AArch64: http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.ihi0059b/IHI0059B_cppabi64.pdf

Both delegate to the Itanium C++ ABI with some twists. For member
function pointers, I think the virtual/non-virtual bit is just shunted
onto the "this" adjustment (because the low bit of the code pointer
decides whether the function is ARM/Thumb in 32-bit mode so isn't
freely modifiable).

Cheers.

Tim.