[cfe-dev] EuroLLVM BoF: Surviving Downstream

Robinson, Paul via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 10 14:42:15 PST 2016

At the US DevMeeting in October, Mike Edwards and I gave a well-attended
presentation "Living Downstream Without Drowning."  Afterward, we were
inundated with questions, spilling over into the evening social hour and
more waves appearing the next day; I guess this is a topic that a lot of
people are concerned with.  ;-)

I'm hosting a follow-up BoF session at EuroLLVM (Friday morning).
This is not about repeating the talk--although I don't mind talking
more, you can see what we already said online (links below).  This time
it's about YOUR concerns, questions, problems, suggestions, solutions.
People are trying everything from big-bang once-per-release merges, to
monthly updates, to nightly cron jobs, to fully automated merge bots.
(At Sony we've done most of those!)  What works?  If "it depends" what
does it depend on?  What causes problems?  Where is your "merge pain?"

We will have live (and communal) note-taking on an etherpad provided
by EuroLLVM, which I hope to have up on-screen during the session.
We should have a full 30 minutes for Q&A, discussion, and hopefully
leaving you with the warm feeling that you are not alone.

For reference, here's the material from the October talk:

Slides: http://llvm.org/devmtg/2015-10/slides/RobinsonEdwards-LivingDownstreamWithoutDrowning.pdf
Video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INCi9gOVMug

See you there!
--paulr