[cfe-dev] Maintaining a clang fork

Nat! via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 10 08:41:59 PST 2016

Hi

I am just wondering if anyone has experiences maintaining a clang fork
and how you do it ?

It wasn't very easy for me to move from 3.7 to 3.8, since there were
about 2000 commits I had to merge. git wasn't too clever with the merge
either, finding stuff to merge in files I had never touched. In the end
I reversed my mode of operation, and merged into master from my branch,
using -strategy ours to keep mainline intact and preferred to reedit
many of my changes.

It would appear advantageous to have some sort of continous integration,
where each commit from mainline is automatically merged into my branch
and then a compile is attempted. If things break, the integration stops.
Otherwise it just keeps on churning. If this makes things really easier
though, I don't know. Does this exist ?

Ciao
    Nat!