[cfe-dev] [RFC][OpenMP][CUDA] Unified Offloading Support in Clang Driver

Samuel F Antao via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 4 14:37:41 PST 2016

Hi Justin,

:

> > So, in your opinion, should we create an action for each programing
> model or
> > should we have a generic one?
>
> We currently have generic Actions, like "CompileAction".  I think those
> should
> stay?  BindArch and the like add a lot of complexity, maybe there's a way
> get rid of those, merging their information into the other Actions.
>
> Does that answer your question?  I'm afraid I may be misunderstanding.

What I meant is:

In your opinion, if we add support for a new programming model, say OpenMP,
should we try to convert CudaAction in something more generic (say
DeviceAction) or adding actions for each programming model is the way to
go?

> > I have some application that I've been compiling with clang, and I
> usually
> > just run "make". Now I read somewhere that a new release of clang has
> > support for CUDA and I happen to have a nice loop that I could implement
> with
> > CUDA. So, I add a new file with the new implementation, then I run
> "make", it
> > compiles but when I run it crashes. The reason it crashes is that I was
> using
> > separate compilation and know I need to change all my makefile rules to
> > forward a new kind of file, that I may not even know what it is.
>
> Again, I do not think that we should make up new file formats and
> incorporate
> them into clang so that people can use new compiler features without
> modifying
> their makefiles.
>
> I think it is far more important that low-level tools such as ld and
> objdump
> continue to work on the files that the compiler outputs.  That likely means
> we'll have to output N separate files, one for the host and one for each
> device
> arch.
>
> But hey, this is just my opinion, and I'm a nobody here.  No offense taken
> if
> the community decides otherwise.

Sure, I understand! :) I think you brought some valid points to the
discussion given that you probably had to thing carefully about these
things in your CUDA work, so I really appreciate you taking some of your
time to engage in this discussion.

I agree with mostly of what you said regarding the file format. We should
rely on existing formats if possible.

So, for the example you just stated. How would generate two separate files
help ld? Ld won't know how to combine them unless there is a driver that
understands offloading that tells it how to do it.

My goal here is not to say that doing it one way or the other is right or
wrong, just trying to fully understand what bases your opinion.

Thanks again!
Samuel