[cfe-dev] Can clang generate a warning for this?

Riyaz Puthiyapurayil via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 24 15:17:43 PDT 2016

Sorry, I think you have misunderstood something. gcc does not warn or crash with the original example but clang crashes. With my modified code, both gcc and clang generate a crash (neither generates a warning).

It is important for me to always get a crash when there is a null reference (both with gcc and clang and with an unoptimized build, so that we don’t have to rely on clang doing the optimization to expose the undefined behavior in our code).  My modified code does just that. The modified code is just manually doing the clang optimization of eliding the nullcheck.

Hope it is clear now. I haven’t checked whether my example contains typos but I didn’t provide a complete standalone test anyway. The actual code does compile fine with both clang and gcc.

-Riyaz