[cfe-dev] Clang should natively support fortran

C Bergström via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 23 09:53:25 PDT 2016

I work with LAPACK(E) every day, but it's not a base OS requirement.
------------
CLAPACK, which removes the direct dependency on a Fortran compiler was
just an F2C translation and small clean-up. Anyone could likely rerun
that against the latest LAPACK.
http://www.netlib.org/clapack/faq.html

Small nit/observation: While gfortran may be the default installed
Fortran compiler, I'm not sure it's the most popular Fortran
production tool. In addition, currently no 2 Fortran compilers share
compatible modules. (Think of modules as sorta like pre-compiled
headers.. sorta) so it's quite  common for users or system integrators
to directly download lapack and build it with their preferred tool.
(Not relying on system provided)

Anecdotally, if Fortran was so generally important, I think Apple or
Google would have smashed that problem a long time ago.

imho
Base OS - Not important (system compiler)

Specific uses cases - extremely important (ports?)
---------
Trick question.. what if OpenBLAS gets an optimized lapack.. which
version do you pick..
https://github.com/xianyi/OpenBLAS/commit/41000c8443452b7cad0fa85898d44735aabd3cff