[cfe-dev] Clang should natively support fortran

C Bergström via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 22 15:31:32 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 6:18 AM, Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:
> On 06/22/2016 14:54, C Bergström wrote:
>
> Sorry to troll your post, but who on earth uses FreeBSD+Fortran? As a
> person who works on a Fortran compiler almost every day I'm actually
> asking. I suspect FreeBSD could remove support for Fortran and it
> wouldn't even get noticed.
>
> Completely ignoring performance, I don't know *anyone* (iXsystems?)
> shipping an HPC oriented solution with FreeBSD as the OS.
> ----------
> In terms of clang supporting Fortran, there's some yet-to-be-released
> work from PIG and also some abandoned work on "flang".
>

> Well, FreeBSD is a full-featured OS, and generally supports most of the
> software that is available.
>

> Otherwise, what is the OS, in your opinion, where fortran is used?

This is going down a rabbit hole pretty far off topic, but the most
sincere answer I can give
--------
Linux, OSX and Windows

I'm a pretty strong Fortran advocate and even I wouldn't have any
argument about trying to keep Fortran support in the FBSD base system.
Why???!

Does FBSD have optimized math libraries?
GPGPU support?
IB drivers support?
Is anyone shipping HPC solutions for FreeBSD
Is anyone actually testing the codes..
(I won't even go into the kernel side of things..)

In general I don't even know if typical common HPC codes will build on
FBSD... I have a strong doubt anyone tests it.

Time and energy is probably better spent focusing on improving things
your community actually needs.