[cfe-dev] Embedding Compiler Invocation in Object Files

Keno Fischer via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 14 10:07:47 PDT 2016

I wanted to revive the idea of adding a feature that would have clang embed
its invocation in the created object file (like a compilation database, but
internal to the object file). I know this was discussed on the mailing list
a few years ago, but as far as I'm aware, there wasn't any progress on
this. My use case for this is debugging (rather than reconstruct a clang
AST from debug info, just re-parse the correct translation unit and get the
complete AST), but I know there are other people interested in this
functionality as well. For my use case, I think I'd be happy associating
this with the DWARF compilation unit (how to represent this would be
something to be discussed, putting it into DW_AT_producer is probably
simplest, but there may be other options). Thoughts?