[cfe-dev] [Analyzer] pretty profiling pictures

Craig, Ben via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 10 12:38:46 PDT 2016

I've been doing profiling on the static analyzer for a while, but
Linux's perf is pretty difficult to get a mental grasp on.  Enter
FlameGraph (https://github.com/brendangregg/FlameGraph) as a great way
to visualize Linux's perf (and other profiler) data. In case it isn't
clear, I didn't write this tool, I just used it.

Here's a PNG of an analysis run.  Normally a neat interactive SVG comes
out the tool, but a 1MB attachment seems like a bad idea.

Now here's the same run, but only showing call stacks that involve calls
to functions named removeDead*.

I think the useful thing to get out of these pictures (and the captions
underneath) is that 40% of the cpu time is spent on callstacks involving
"removeDead".