[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] [lldb-dev] GitHub anyone?

Joerg Sonnenberger via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 6 08:44:07 PDT 2016

On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 10:32:45AM -0500, via llvm-dev wrote:
> My only hesitation with this is that this requires use of cherry-pick,
> which is not idea.  The way most git repositories work is to put
> everything that should go into a release branch in the release branch
> *first* and then merge the release branch to master, ensuring that
> everything going out in a release will make it into the next release.
> This is how the gitflow workflow works, for example.

The model of "commit to oldest first" is IMO one of the most stupid
concepts I have ever seen in git "workflows". It is contrary to the way
software development works and essentially just a bad workaround for
broken cherry picks. I've seen more than one project starting to use
this model due to advocacy after deciding to use git, stumble around
with it for a release or two and then going back to a normal release
management approach. Even the argument you have presented here does not
make sense to me. Just because a change has been committed to a release
branch, doesn't mean it won't get replaced later.

Joerg