[cfe-dev] GitHub anyone?

via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 2 11:29:14 PDT 2016

Renato Golin via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:

>  * Sub-modules may help with a lot of the current relationship we have
> inside the SVN repo, but it also has some problems. Namely they:
>    - require a modern version of git (1.7/1.9), but that's 2013 onward.
>    - may need additional server side scripting, but we can keep that
> in another repo to control it.
>    - won't replace SVN's monotonic IDs, but do we *really* need them?
>  Sub-modules have a bad fame, I gather, but people in the thread
> reported success on using it to build validation and release
> infrastructure as well as doing bisects, checking out code, etc. We
> probably need some documentation on how to do these things, as well as
> some scripts to help people work out the dependencies (or use them).

I'd like to generate and add to your notes a list of submodule
alternatives so we can explore options.  Here's a start.  Not all of
these are equally good IMHO.

- Creating one big repository
- Simply require multiple clones + tooling for bisect
- git-subtree (with to-be-contributed enhancements)
- Google repo

                            -David