[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] GitHub anyone?

James Y Knight via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 1 12:25:33 PDT 2016

IMO, if we're switching to git, we should just be clear up front that all
committers will be expected to switch to git as well -- or at least, if
they want to use something else (e.g. mercurial's git bridge/etc), that
it's their own problem.

It is truly NOT that big an imposition to require the use of git. And
knowing how to use git at at least a basic level is an important skill for
a lot of software development now -- no matter what LLVM does, so I don't
feel bad for making anyone spend time learning how to use it.

I really don't think that promising and requiring that svn-client using
people (especially committers: read-only access seems a lot less
potentially problematic) will keep getting a good development experience
after the migration is a good idea. I mean, if SVN also happens to work
with the chosen hosting/workflow in the end, that's fine, I guess. But, I
feel that should be considered a "if it works, that's okay, but it's not
recommended, and is not guaranteed" kind of thing.

Making that a requirement locks us into the use of github as the primary
repository: no other git hosting has svn support, afaik.
It means we can't introduce any workflows that wouldn't work well for svn
users -- or if we do, that such users will probably complain anew when that
happens.
And if github's svn bridge turns out to have fatal problems, do we then
abandon the migration?