[cfe-dev] GitHub anyone?

Richard via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 1 09:41:53 PDT 2016

[Please reply *only* to the list and do not include my email directly
in the To: or Cc: of your reply; otherwise I will not see your reply.
Thanks.]

In article <CAOnawYqv=77UJWwxLEZitAe4aUCMC-Et4Lu9U78mOj5XN4cWFQ at mail.gmail.com>,
    C Bergström via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:

> There's already git mirrors of all this stuff on github - [...]

I was developing all my contributions locally with git and these
mirrors.  I found it pretty convenient as I could commit locally and
have safety backstops for my work and even break things apart into
multiple commits as it made sense.

Of course it would all collapse into one giant commit for phabricator
and submission purposes.

Since I was given commit access myself, things actually have gotten
more cumbersome.  Even though I have commit access, because it is SVN
I don't have *local* commit access.  So I have to keep using the
github mirrors to develop against locally and submit to phabricator
and only when my changeset has been accepted do I push it to SVN.

In the end, having commit access was actually more work for me instead
of less work for me.

If we switched to github, things would get much simpler from my
perspective.

I'm not a fan of git, really; I prefer mercurial.  But being able to
make local commits is a huge win over subversion.