[cfe-dev] [RFC] __attribute__((internal_linkage))

Duncan P. N. Exon Smith via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 13 15:57:25 PDT 2016

+cfe-dev, bcc:llvm-dev (added back the wrong list I think?)

> On 2016-Jul-13, at 09:57, Duncan P. N. Exon Smith <dexonsmith at apple.com> wrote:
>
> +llvm-dev
>
>> On 2016-Jul-13, at 07:38, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 6:52 PM Duncan P. N. Exon Smith via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> The status quo isn't "linkonce_odr + visibility_hidden".  The status quo is "linkonce_odr + visibility_hidden + always_inline".  I guess you're suggesting removing the always_inline?
>>
>> I believe the "always_inline" is protecting against some objects being built separately from (and with a slightly different libc++ than) others, which is common in the case of static archives.  Using "internal" gives the same protection.
>>
>> Aside from address-taken functions (where the address of functions will depend on the translation unit, instead of causing a link error), I think "internal" is a strict improvement over the status quo.  Changing to "linkonce_odr + hidden" would be more fragile, although a possible tradeoff for some vendors.
>>
>> Even with internal linkage, the linker will have the opportunity to de-duplicate the functions if they are optimized the same way.
>>
>> It will? Don't the addresses still have to be distinct? (I could pass a pointer to an internal linkage function across a TU boundary to some other TU where it should compare inequal to an equivalent but distinct internal linkage function in that other TU, I would think?)
>>
>> (& do any of our common linkers do that deduplication (rightly (by adding little thunks) or wrongly (well, MSVC does, but possibly with coordination from the compiler with the "ICF" feature))?)
>
> ld64 does de-duplication, but I'm not entirely sure of when.

I looked into de-duplication more and talked to Nick.  Here is the current state on Darwin:

1. If a function in LLVM has "linkonce_odr" linkage and its address is never taken, LLVM emits it with a special flag called "autohide".

2. After coalescing symbols, ld64 will internalize any that was marked with "autohide".  This optimization reduces the number of weak symbols.  (Since (a) the address wasn't taken, (b) the symbol is discardable, and (c) it's following the ODR rule, there is no semantic change from internalizing it.)

3. ld64 then de-duplicates any of these "autohidden" symbols by content.  (Since the compiler only adds "autohide" to symbols whose address isn't taken, there is no semantic change from de-duplication.)

In theory, we could abuse the "autohide" flag by adding it to "internal" symbols, and teach ld64 to de-duplicate those.  It's not clear if the link-time overhead would be worth the benefit in general, but it's technically feasible.