[cfe-dev] [llvm-foundation] Sequential ID Git hook

David Chisnall via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 5 04:13:27 PDT 2016

On 5 Jul 2016, at 11:44, Renato Golin via llvm-foundation <llvm-foundation at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Just for reference, GitHub *does* have an SVN interface [1], and you
> can already checkout a specific revision with "svn checkout -r NNN
> repo", which *is already* using "git rev-list --count".
>
> This means that, for SVN based bisects, using GitHub will make it
> *completely transparent* for SVN users. You can also base your
> releases off an SVN view of the Git repo.

Note that GitHub (currently, at least) doesn’t export submodules sensibly with their svn version.  I don’t intend to use the svn thing (the only time that I have used it in anger was to replace a project that moved to GitHub with an svn:external that referred to the GitHub repo so people could easily find the new location), but that would cause problems if anyone wants to do an svn bisect.

I think it would help to have a description of how to bisect for a clang or lldb (or some other subproject) regression.  For downstream users, it would also be nice if tools like git-imerge let you merge clang and llvm together, though that’s a nice-to-have feature that we currently lack so shouldn’t in any way block the migration.

David