[cfe-dev] Proposal: Integrate static analysis test suites

Aaron Ballman via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 28 05:53:52 PST 2016

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 2:31 AM, Anna Zaks <ganna at apple.com> wrote:

<snip..>
> This is by design. Many more people have compiler as part of their daily
> flow so it’s best to have such errors being reported by the compiler.
> Having the analyzer produce all of the compiler warnings is likely to be too
> nosy for the users.

Personally, I find that design to lead to a confusing user experience.
When I run the analyzer, my mental model is that I am running the
compiler plus some additional analyses. When I don't get compiler
warnings that I would otherwise get, it feels like I (as the user)
have configured things improperly and done something wrong. Put
another way: the point to running a static analyzer is to find out
what's wrong with some code, so it's surprising that we would disable
some of those notices of what's wrong that would otherwise be enabled
by default.

Perhaps my mental model is in the minority, but it's another anecdote
to remember if this design is ever reconsidered again.

~Aaron