[cfe-dev] Zurich LLVM Social - January 14, 2016 - ETH

Tobias Grosser via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 11 10:39:47 PST 2016

On 12/31/2015 03:16 PM, Tobias Grosser via llvm-dev wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> we are organizing a "Zurich LLVM Social" on January 14 - 19:00 at ETH
> and invite interested people to attend.
>
> # Registration (to facilitate planning):
>
> https://ethz.doodle.com/poll/ve2nxtsdxzgvx3vy
>
> # What is it:
>
> The Zurich LLVM Social is an informal meeting to discuss compilation and
> code generation issues with a focus on LLVM and related projects (clang,
> Polly, lldb, ...)
>
> Our primary focus is to provide a venue (and drinks & snacks) that
> enables free discussions between interested people without imposing
> an agenda/program.
>
> Related technical presentations held by participants are welcomed
> (please contact us).

Reminder: The Zurich LLVM Social will take place this Thursday.

As part of our social, Thomas Wuerthinger will present recent work on
combining LLVM and the Graal VM.

Title:
Running LLVM-based languages on the Graal Multi-Language VM

Abstract:
The Graal Multi-Language VM is a virtual machine for running a variety
of programming languages within the same environment including Java,
JavaScript, Ruby, R, and others. While the initial focus of Graal and
its associated language implementation framework Truffle was on dynamic
and managed languages, we are currently expanding our scope to languages
that are traditionally statically compiled. For this purpose, we created
a prototype LLVM bitcode front-end for Graal. It is implemented via an
LLVM bit code interpreter that is dynamically compiled via partial
evaluation. This allows to execute unmanaged languages in a managed
context, create first class interoperability with managed languages, and
employ dynamic profile-driven optimizations. This talk will give an
overview of our early prototype and what we expect to achieve with our
approach.

Bio:
Thomas Wuerthinger is a Research Director at Oracle Labs leading
programming language implementation teams for languages including Java,
JavaScript, Ruby, and R. He is the architect of the Graal compiler and
the Truffle self-optimizing runtime system. Previously, he worked on the
Crankshaft optimizing compiler of V8 at Google, and the Maxine research
virtual machine at Sun Microsystems. He received a PhD degree from JKU
Linz for his research about dynamic code evolution.