[cfe-dev] New contributor, `make test` not doing anything

Tim Halloran via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 9 12:27:22 PST 2016

With CMake you go into your "build" directory (where you build the system)
and run

"make check-clang-tools"

Also "make clang-tidy" will just rebuild clang-tidy

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 3:23 PM, Sidney San Martín <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org>
wrote:

> (Reposted from llvm-dev)
>
> I came to the recent LLVM/Clang hackathon and made a new checker for
> clang-tidy. I'm working on wrapping up and submitting my patch, and I can't
> seem to run the tests.
>
> - First, I followed the instructions at
> http://clang.llvm.org/hacking.html#testingNonWindows. I ran `make test`
> in my build directory, and also tried running `make` in the `test`
> subdirectory. They both exited in under a second with no output.
>
> - Then, I tried doing the same thing in the `tools/clang/tools/extra`
> subdirectory of my build directory, where clang-tidy lives. Same result.
>
> - Finally, I found http://clang.llvm.org/extra/clang-tidy/#testing-checks.
> This explains how to create tests but not how to run them. I made a
> relatively wonky command line that seems to run my test successfully (along
> the lines of `PATH=$PATH:$BUILD_DIR/bin ./check_clang_tidy.py
> ../../test/clang-tidy/misc-my-check.cpp misc-my-check /tmp/foo.tmp`), but
> it doesn't feel right.
>
> What should I be doing instead?

Tim Halloran
SureLogic, Inc.
5808 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh PA 15217-1602
(412) 722-3338