[cfe-dev] Integrating clang tools into libclang (and your editor)

Benjamin Kramer via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 4 03:29:08 PST 2016

Hi everyone,

so one of the current issues with clang-tidy (and other clang tools)
is that they're inconvenient to use in a normal workflow. You have to
leave your editor and manually run the tool on your command line. I'd
like to fix that by getting tools into vim and emacs with minimal
changes, and since there's already decent integration with normal
clang diagnostics via libclang, that's the part where integrating
makes the most sense.

I wrote up a document sketching out some ideas for this. There are
some hard problems and rough edges in there, and I want a rock solid
design before it's baked into the C API forever. Please share any
comments you have.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O_bFkBjLGtwh7tZ90YW7PVQp6puWlvIiY0kRKxErJO4/edit?usp=sharing