[cfe-dev] cwchar and cwctype

Ryan Prichard via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 22 01:40:39 PST 2016

I noticed that the cwchar and cwctype headers in libc++ are doing more work
than I expected them to.  In particular:

 - cwchar aliases ::FILE into std.
 - cwchar includes cwctype
 - cwctype includes cctype

I have a C library whose wchar.h does not declare FILE, which AFAICT is
C-conforming.  Consequently, a user's source file that includes cwchar
doesn't compile.  The POSIX standard specifies that wchar.h declares FILE
as an extension to ISO C, but libc++'s headers don't generally include the
POSIX extensions into std.

>From my testing, it looks like neither of libstdc++ or MSVC 2015 do any of
the three inclusions above.

Is there a libc++ bug here?