[cfe-dev] [Release-testers] [Openmp-dev] [4.0 Release] Schedule and call for testers

Hans Wennborg via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 5 11:56:48 PST 2016

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:
> On 5 December 2016 at 18:56, Hans Wennborg via Release-testers
> <release-testers at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> The idea is that Tom's stable releases will keep incrementing the
>> "patch" part of the version numbers, just as today, so they would be
>> 4.0.1, 4.0.2, etc.
>
> Hum, this looks weird. I was under the impression that we'd do 4.1, 4.2 instead.

I'd like to avoid 4.1 because of the potential for confusion about
whether it's a major release (as it would have been under the old
scheme) or a patch release.

> Otherwise, it'll be:
>
> * 3.9.0
> * 3.9.1
> * 4.0.0
> * 4.0.1
> * 5.0.0
> * 5.0.1
>
> With a totally redundant zero in the middle.

Yes, it has a redundant zero in the middle, but I don't think that's a
terrible thing, and it's very clear what the version number means.

The alternative would be:

3.9.0
3.9.1
4.0.0
4.1.0 <-- Can't tell from the version number what kind of release this is.

> Unless we're planning to extend the maintenance of the 5.x branch and
> release 5.1.0 *after* 6.0.0 is out, which would be a major change in
> how we release LLVM. I don't think that's the plan.

Right, not planning to do that.