[cfe-dev] Clang Static Analyzer: False Positive Suppression Support

Craig, Ben via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 29 10:50:01 PDT 2016

On 8/29/2016 11:49 AM, Anna Zaks wrote:

>> On Aug 29, 2016, at 7:59 AM, Gábor Horváth <xazax.hun at gmail.com
>> <mailto:xazax.hun at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> * Using pragmas one can introduce convenience macros, it might also
>> be better to suppress code regions
>> * It is better to suppress based on bug type or something like that
>> rather than using the name of the checker (which is not intended to
>> leak out)
>> * It is good idea to have line offsets to avoid too much noise when
>> reading code
>> * Anything against pragmas?
>
> Another reason pragmas are better than comments is because this is
> what the compiler uses for suppressions.

I'm not opposed to pragmas in concept, but I don't like the typical way
they are used for compiler warning suppression.  In particular, I
strongly dislike the following pattern as the "default" pattern for
warning suppression:

#if __clang_analyzer__
#pragma static analyzer push
#pragma static analyzer disable deadcode
#endif
// bad code here
#if __clang_analyzer__
#pragma static analyzer pop
#endif

Things I don't like about that pattern:
* verbose
* requires modifying code before and after the offending line of code
* usually requires compiler specific guards.
* if you forget the trailer, code still works, but you lose diagnostics
* if you don't know the push / pop pattern, you end up losing diagnostics

I'm fine with that pattern existing in addition to a much more terse and
friendly syntax.  I can see the push / pop pattern being useful for
blocks of code.  Just don't make that the default.

Here's a pattern that I'd prefer:
// Common header...
#ifdef __clang_analyzer__
#define CLANG_SUPPRESS_WARNING(category, line_offset) _Pragma(category,
line_offset)
#else
#define CLANG_SUPPRESS_WARNING(category, line_offset)
#endif
// Source file...
CLANG_SUPPRESS_WARNING(deadcode, +1)
// bad code here