[cfe-dev] Giving __DATE__ and __TIME__ fixed values

Nico Weber via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 24 07:53:24 PDT 2016

Hi,

we're trying to make our build more deterministic. Several third-party
libraries we depend on use __DATE__ and __TIME__, which makes that part of
the build nondeterministic. So we'd like to force both of them to a fixed
value via some flag.

-D__DATE__= -D__TIME__= kind of works, but it
triggers Wbuiltin-macro-redefined warnings (and it also causes a crash when
using them with pchs). Is using -D flags the right approach for this? It
seems a bit hacky. Would there be interest in adding a (say)
-ffixed-date-time=1997-07-16T19:20+01:00 flag that sets the initial value
of __DATE__ and __TIME__ so that we don't have to redefine them?

Nico