[cfe-dev] clang-tools-extra sphinx documentation was last updated a month ago

Renato Golin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 18 06:03:55 PDT 2016

On 18 August 2016 at 13:47, Alexander Kornienko <alexfh at google.com> wrote:
> Sorry for being unclear, 1.1.3 _was_ the version that was able to build
> clang-tools-extra in July. And once Sphinx was upgraded to 1.4.5, the
> clang-tools-extra build started failing until I've fixed issues in r279049.
> Now http://clang.llvm.org/extra/ says "Created using Sphinx 1.4.5", which is
> fine and consistent with the current setup of the clang-sphinx-docs
> buildbot, according to Dmitri.

Right, so my migration worked across the board (as I thought it
would). Good to know. :)

> The important question here is "can we make the process of building docs for
> llvm.org more transparent? In the form of a status dashboard, logs of the
> last build or e-mail notifications, for example.". Is it something you can
> help with?

It could. Right now there are two processes:

1. A cron job in the LLVM server pulling the docs, building with
Sphinx and if all goes well, an rsync to the WWW directory.

2. Dmitry's buildbots, which do something similar, but doesn't copy
anything anywhere.

Making the buildbot push the docs to the server will involve some
SSH/FTP magic, which is doable, but non-trivial to make it secure.
WebDAV may work, but that's less trivial to setup.

Putting the buildbot in the LLVM server could be another solution, but
it would also increase the complexity, which is already non-trivial.

Tanya is moving all services out of that server and that'll help us
have better granularity and probably my second proposal would work
best.

But in the meantime, we made sure both bots and server have the same
Sphinx, so it should be mostly ok to rely on the buildbot.

cheers,
--renato