[cfe-dev] Analyser - variadic arguments

Artem Dergachev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 1 10:14:06 PDT 2016

Uhm.

You can enable IPA for variadic functions for your experiments, but i
guess the problem was that it's not truly modeled - eg., va_arg()
doesn't really return the variadic argument values. Which is bad,
because it makes the analyzer make false assumptions (eg., suppose we
inline scanf(), but do not understand that the place scanf() writes into
is our local variable - we'd keep thinking that this variable is
uninitialized and throw a false warning when it's used.

So you can just disable this check in your experiments (and deal with
some false positives, which might not be too many), but a proper fix
would need to be done before this check is disabled in the mainline
analyzer.

In order to produce a proper fix, we'd need to model VAArgExpr's - in
the ExprEngine or in Gabor's checker. In fact, a checker might be a good
place for it, because it would already have all the necessary
infrastructure (va_start() also needs to be modeled in the same place,
perhaps through evalCall() to reduce invalidations). The modeling itself
is not hard, but would require some understanding.