[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Fwd: Raising CMake minimum version to 3.4.3

Chuck Atkins via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 27 10:16:23 PDT 2016

As an actual CMake developer (I'm no Brad King but I try to do my part), I
hugely support the move to a much more modern CMake version.  I do believe
that it will pay dividends in the long run to those who develop on the
build system for LLVM.

> I am definitely willing to take the hit and upgrade CMake on *all* my
> builders (current and future) to a *stable* CMake release if we can
> make it clear what we want.

The most *stable* CMake releases will probably be the last patch release in
a minor version cycle.  The versioning uses MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH since the 3.x
series (2.8 was so long lived it followed basically the same pattern but
with 2.8 as the effective MAJOR).  MINOR version increments add features
but PATCH increments add bug fixes only.  So, for instance, currently 3.5.2
is the release version and there should be no new features between 3.5.0
and 3.5.2, only bug fixes.  3.5.1, for instance, has a few known crashes
that necessitated a 3.5.2 patch release.  But 3.4.3 is likely the most
stable since it was the last bug-fix patch release in the 3.4.x series.

Just my 2c.

- Chuck