[cfe-dev] GSoC proposal - Finding and analysing copy-pasted code with clang

Mehdi Amini via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 5 17:21:10 PDT 2016

Hi Raphael,

This looks like a very interesting project.
From what I can tell, the prototype from last year GSoC has been developed out-of-tree and without much community involvement apparently.
I’d like to make sure we (as the clang/LLVM community) get as much as possible out of this project if it gets selected, so IMO it should be:

1) developed in-tree and not in a separate clone, from day 1.
2) developed with involvement of the community, and especially making sure the design can integrate nicely with the existing infrastructure (i.e. validate with the static analyzer code owner). Ideally Anna or someone involved with the static analysis infrastructure should sign-up to co-mentor the project.

The availability of a standalone tool is a lot less important than a well integrated infrastructure/library IMO.

Can you elaborate your position with respect to that?
I’m interested in everyone's opinion as well of course.

Best,

—
Mehdi