[cfe-dev] [analyzer] Adding build bot for static analyzer reference results

David Blaikie via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 28 17:06:52 PDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 5:02 PM, Devin Coughlin <dcoughlin at apple.com> wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2015, at 4:33 PM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 4:25 PM, Devin Coughlin via cfe-dev <
> cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>

>> We propose taking a “curl + cache” approach to benchmarks. That is, we
>> won’t store the benchmarks themselves in a repository. Instead, the bots
>> will download them from the projects' websites and cache locally.
>

> If we're going to be downloading things from external sources, those
> sources could be changing, no? Or will we pin to a specific version.
>

> We will pin it to a specific version, although we may want to periodically
> (yearly or even less frequently) update to a newer version of the
> benchmarks to make sure we get good coverage of newer language features and
> to keep the benchmarks compiling with ToT clang.
>
> if we're pinning to a specific version, what's the benefit to taking an
> external dependency like that (untrusted, may be down when we need it,
> etc), compared to copying the files permanently & checking them in to
> clang-tests (or clang-tests-external) as I did for GDB?
>

> The goal here is to avoid unnecessary co-mingling of benchmarks with
> different licenses in the llvm.org repositories — but as you point out,
> it comes with significant downsides. What has your experience with gdb and
> clang-test-external been like? Has dealing with differing licensing w/r/t
> clang been a challenge?

I don't believe so - we just put it out in a separate repository from
clang-tests, to ensure those who might have reasons for not wanting to view
code under such a license could ensure they didn't accidentally run across
it.

But as usual, legal/licensing issues should be directed at lawyers, of
which I am not one.

- David