[cfe-dev] LLVM, Clang Development IDEs

mats petersson via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 9 07:35:08 PDT 2015

On 9 September 2015 at 15:03, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:

> On 9 September 2015 at 14:29, mats petersson <mats at planetcatfish.com>
> wrote:
> > Technically, I'm not an LLVM or Clang developer [by which I mean, I'm not
> > contributing code to LLVM or Clang, although I do have a patch for clang
> > that may make it in at some point], but I do use Emacs with cscope.
>
> Honest question: how does cscope copes with C++11 constructs? I
> finally gave up emacs when cscope was the only thing I could use and
> it wasn't enough. Maybe I missed something?

I have not tried on big projects, but I use cscope  on C++ in my hobby
project compiler, which uses limited C++11 features, and it's not failing
in any obvious way for this use-case. But llvm is "out of tree", and I
typically use google and the online doxygen pages for LLVM searches.

My main use is in my day-job, which is nearly all C, so C++11 is not a big
issue - but the build we use has all of clang and llvm in the sources, and
cscope is not failing in any obvious way, and I can search for "getType"
and it finds a load of them. But I'm sure there may be more subtle things
that I don't notice because when I use cscope in this project, I'm
typically searching for C symbols, not C++ things.

> > I'm not trying to start a war with Renato about "vi(m) vs (x)emacs" -
> it's
> > pointless,
>
> That was a joke. :)

Sorry, my "sarcasticly pointing out the pointlessness of a editor
flame-war" obviously didn't have the (right) sarcasm font... ;)

> > it's just one of those choices one makes at some point in life -
> > once you know enough to do things with ease in one, you end up not liking
> > the other.
>
> Yup. Especially as you get older... :)

I've been old quite some time now... ;)

--