[cfe-dev] codechecker into clang/LLVM?

Dániel Krupp via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 22 07:14:57 PDT 2015

Hello All,

Scan-build, the current bug viewer Clang Static Analyzer front-end tool has some scalability issues and limitations.

For example, scan-build creates static HTML reports, storing whole source files as many times as they are included in a report.

Incremental bug reporting (show only new bugs compared to a baseline) and false positive suppression is not supported either.

To address these issues, back in July we published CodeChecker on GitHub ( https://github.com/Ericsson/codechecker ),

a new defect storage and management infrastructure for Clang Static Analyzer (written in python). We also gave a talk about this in Euro LLVM 2015 (http://llvm.org/devmtg/2015-04/).

The most important features are the following:

     - scalable dynamic web based defect viewer (instead of static html)

     - a new command line tool for analyzing projects which is usable in CI scripts

     - a PostgreSQL based defect storage & management

     - incremental bug reporting (show only new bugs compared to a baseline)

     - suppression of false positives

     - better integration with build systems (through the LD_PRELOAD mechanism)

     - Apache Thrift API based server-client model for storing bugs and viewing results.

     - It is possible to connect multiple bug viewers. Currently a web-based viewer and a command line viewer are provided.

Since its publication we have fixed many errors, addressed user-feedbacks and now I think it is mature enough.

We could release the tool under LLVM license.

If you agree, this tool could be part of the llvm/clang source tree, possibly besides scan-build (or a separate llvm repository?).

I am not sure about the official process.

Can anyone help with this?

Regards,

Daniel