[cfe-dev] clang::LangOption policy

Reid Kleckner via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 19 13:09:31 PDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 7:08 AM, Joshua Gerrard <joshua.gerrard at roli.com>
wrote:

> Thanks to you all, I’ll go with your recommendation and implement the dump
> function for LangOptions.
>
> Whilst on the topic, I’ve always had trouble getting any debug information
> out of LLVM and Clang; is there a nice way to get things like that printed
> to a file  / STDOUT consistently?

You mean dumps, like -ast-dump, -fdump-record-layout, -emit-llvm, -mllvm
-print-after-all, -mllvm -debug, and this kind of thing? We don't have any
kind of generic logging infrastructure, if that's what you're thinking.

The best I’ve found so far involves going into the VS solution settings,
> adding something like > log.txt to the command line arguments, and hoping
> it works (it doesn’t always).

Oftentimes we dump to stderr because it's easy to invoke tools with '-o -',
so the output appears on stdout. If you can trick VS into logging stderr,
that might help.