[cfe-dev] Small patches to allow fully independent clang/llvm/compiler-rt/libc++

Daniel Sanders via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 15 13:10:30 PDT 2015

> On 15 October 2015 at 19:59, James Y Knight <jyknight at google.com> wrote:
> > I really think something simple like the above would be basically trivial to
> > implement within clang, and solve the problems people need to have solved in
> > this area. And there's no need to block on the massive triple/tuple
> > refactoring, or anything like that.
>
> Hi James,
>
> Your use case is not what people are used to expect,
> so any change in that direction is not "trivial". Beyond code
> changes, there are other architectures and tools to think about.

I may be being picky on phrasing here but I disagree with this. It's not what clang expects but it is what end-users expect. For example, on a Mips Debian I expected 'clang helloworld.c' and 'gcc helloworld.c' to both produce MIPS-II binaries and was surprised when I got MIPS64R2 binaries using a different ABI (sort of, the details aren't important though).

> Finally, none of that is blocked by the Triple issue, I'm not sure
> where that came from, but I'm sorry if that's what you understood. I
> specifically asked Daniel not to name it "triple" to avoid that
> confusion. :)

For Mips the problem isn't solved until we have both pieces but I agree that our problems in the backend doesn't block progress on the frontend.