[cfe-dev] Small patches to allow fully independent clang/llvm/compiler-rt/libc++

Renato Golin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 15 05:44:43 PDT 2015

On 15 October 2015 at 13:30, Daniel Sanders <Daniel.Sanders at imgtec.com> wrote:
> Just to restate this without the implementation detail: The triple would select a configuration file and that configuration file would inject the command line flags needed to get the right behaviour for that triple. We would then handle inconsistency in triples by changing the configuration files shipped in each distribution.

Yes. Just don't call it triple, because it really isn't.

$ clang --target mips-linux-gnu

That's a triple that Clang recognises...

$ clang --target weird-mips-linux-gnu

That's not. A modified Clang (in the future) would see this, bail on
"unknown triple", and fall back to a configuration database, if
exists.

If not, error out with "unknown triple".

This way we keep triples and configurations absolutely separate, which
is a requirement to keep triples as legacy.

cheers,
--renato