[cfe-dev] Small patches to allow fully independent clang/llvm/compiler-rt/libc++

Renato Golin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 15 04:41:57 PDT 2015

On 15 October 2015 at 12:25, C Bergström <cbergstrom at pathscale.com> wrote:
> Can you guys change the subject - I don't know how this (confusing to
> me and possibly JIT related) discussion has to do with the default
> triple and or defaults in general.

It's not JIT related, it's an external way to tell the compiler what
flags for compilation and linking it has to use depending on the
target+system, which can be encoded in a small text database, which
Clang can use.

It's an easier way to achieve complex system description without
changing much of the compiler itself. Not the final solution, but a
good temporary alternative.

Though, temporary here could be years...

cheers,
--renato