[cfe-dev] clang::LangOption policy

Joshua Gerrard via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 15 00:59:06 PDT 2015

So I've been working with clang as a library on Windows for a little while
now, and I'm noticed a few things that I'd like to change, but in order to
do so I need to know the "clang policy" for such things first.

There is a flag, MSVCCompat, which as you probably know already, tweaks
some things so that clang works better on Windows.

However, other flags are required, such as DelayedTemplateParsing, in order
for things to work. Now I understand that these need to be separate flags
so that users on other platforms can enable things like
DelayedTemplateParsing for other reasons, but as it stands enabling
MSVCCompat doesn't make clang compatible with Windows.

As a result, I'd like to fix this problem by making things like
DelayedTemplateParsing take effect when MSVCCompat is turned on. However,
this would make it so that the "implied" flags would essentially have no
effect, and turning off DelayedTemplateParsing would not have any effect if
MSVCCompat was turned off.

Furthermore, I can't see the point in having both a MSCompatibility flag
and a MSVCCompat flag; surely we should have one or the other?

How do you folks feel about this? I'd really like to make this my first
contribution to clang.

--
Joshua Gerrard
JUCE Software Developer

*ROLI’s **award-winning*
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/design/31520/the-seaboard-grand-piano-wins-designs-of-the-year-2014-award.html>*
Seaboard
GRAND, celebrated as the “**piano of the future*
<http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/27/tech/innovation/hans-zimmer-seaboard-future-piano/>*”,
is now joined by the **Seaboard RISE*
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGr7VbDiRNw>*, “**every bit as slimline
and attractive as its bigger brother*
<http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=18726>*”. The press is hailing the
Seaboard RISE as “**innovative*
<http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-09/10/seaboard-rise-digital-keyboard-launch-uk-price>*”,
“**expressive*
<http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/09/new-roli-instrument-wants-make-expressive-control-mainstream/>*”,
“**accessible*
<http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/09/new-roli-instrument-wants-make-expressive-control-mainstream/>*”,
and “**a keyboard controller that does to piano keys what 3D touch does to
the iPhone*
<http://www.slashgear.com/roli-seaboard-rise-is-like-3d-touch-for-musicians-11404216/>*”.
Now available for preorder at **www.roli.com* <http://www.roli.com/>*.*