[cfe-dev] cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org

David Blaikie via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 13 13:33:55 PDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 12:32 PM, Sterling Augustine via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> [this time with correct cfe-dev address]
>
> Clang (and Cling) Developers,
>
> I am working on a tool that takes produces a list of the fully-qualified
> names of the parameters in a function prototype. I need the fully qualified
> names because I am programmatically generating source code to call these
> functions, and I need to generate a function call with the correct types
> from the top-level namespace.
>
> Unfortunately, getting the fully qualified name of random QualTypes is
> complicated.
>
> You can see just how complicated by looking at
> TypeName::GetFullyQualifiedName and it's callees in the Cling project:
>

> https://root.cern.ch/gitweb?p=root.git;a=blob;f=interpreter/cling/lib/Utils/AST.cpp
>
> Does it makes sense to upstream this functionality from cling into clang?

Presumably clang needs to do this in places already (diagnostic messages,
etc?)? Have you found any instances of that? Is there existing code doing
that work that could be refactored into something reusable (that way it's
being actually executed and tested within Clang's many codepaths, which is
helpful to avoid bitrot, etc)