[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Buildbot Noise

Renato Golin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 7 15:28:57 PDT 2015

On 7 October 2015 at 23:20, Chris Matthews <chris.matthews at apple.com> wrote:
> For instance, a build that fails with a ninja error, will say so, same with a
> svn failure or a Jenkins exception.

Will these get mailed to developers? Or admins?

> We also have a few polices on email: only email on first failure, don’t
> email on exception and abort, and don’t email long blame lists (more than 10
> people).

That's the same. The only problem we found is that exception is
treated as "success" because we don't want to email when the master is
reloaded. But the sequence red->exception->red emails, since
exception->red is treated as good->bad.

> In all our CI cluster we use phased builds.

I'd love to have that! :D

> I do think flaky bots should only email their owners.

I agree. The problem is defining flaky. A lot of flaky behaviour can
be mapped back to the compiler (like Clang abusing of the C++ ABI, or
code assuming 64-bit types in odd ways).

>  I also think we
> should nominate some reliable fast builds to produce vetted revision, and
> trigger most other builds from those.

This would be the perfect world.

When Apple moved to GreenBots, I was expecting that we'd be moving too
not long after. I was also expecting the LLVM Foundation to be driving
this change, and I'd have dived head first to have what you have.

But it makes no sense for me to do that on my own, locally. Nor I have
bandwidth or resources to do that for everyone else.

I don't really care if it's buildbot, Jenkins or orc slaves, as long
as I can spend my time doing something else, I'm happy.

cheers,
--renato