[cfe-dev] Buildbot Noise

Renato Golin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 2 06:54:39 PDT 2015

On 1 October 2015 at 19:38, Galina Kistanova <gkistanova at gmail.com> wrote:
> Buildmaster as is configured now should send notifications on status change
> only for
> 'successToFailure' and 'failureToSuccess' events, so always red bots should
> be quiet.

Hi Galina,

This is true, but bots that go from red to exception (when the master
is restarted, for instance) to red, we get emails.

Maybe the master is treating exception as success, because it doesn't
want to warn on its own exceptions, but then it creates the problem
described above.

We need a richer logic than just success<->failure.

> Also we have group of builders (experimental_scheduled_builders) in
> configuration file builders.py which also should be quiet. This is place for
> noisy unstable bots.

But moving between them needs configuration changes. These not only
can take a while to happen, but they depend on buildbot admins.

My other proposal is to have different buildmasters, with the same
configurations for all bots, but one that emails, and the other that
doesn't.

As a bot owner, I could easily move between them by just updating one
line on my bot config, and not needing anyone else's help.

cheers,
--renato