[cfe-dev] (noob) svn update of nested projectsquestion

Csaba Raduly via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Nov 21 05:29:21 PST 2015

Hi Tim,

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 10:53 PM, Tim Halloran via cfe-dev
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Working on the code from trunk in SVN it seems difficult to update all the
> nested projects at the same time.
>
> The http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html recommends using "make update" in
> the (checked out) llvm directory but that fails

You seem to have misunderstood.

"make update" works from the build directory, after you ran configure.
The following is my setup, which works (for me):

~/LLVM/llvm  - contains the checked-out LLVM; with clang, compiler-rt inside it
~/LLVM/build - is where the build happens

So, after the checkout procedure

cd ~/LLVM/build
../configure --enable-assertions
make update

> {tim at arkham:~/Source/llvm-trunk/llvm} make update
> Makefile:44: Makefile.config: No such file or directory
> Makefile:151: /Makefile.rules: No such file or directory
> make: *** No rule to make target '/Makefile.rules'.  Stop.
> {tim at arkham:~/Source/llvm-trunk/llvm}
>
> (the whole section on this page entitled "Simultaneously Building Clang and
> LLVM" appears to be out out date, P.C. (Pre Cmake). I wrote the obvious
> script to to a full update, after build failures due to svn operator error,
> but I'm guessing there might be a better way.

Unfortunately, the LLVM project is moving away from autoconf, towards CMake
(unfortunate for me, because the "update" target has not been ported
and I dislike CMake anyway)

Csaba