[cfe-dev] LibTool Executable not generated from Makefile

Kim Gräsman via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Nov 14 06:19:55 PST 2015

Hi Omid,

On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 12:04 AM, Omid Ghenatnevi via cfe-dev
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> When I execute the cmd "make" the build is successful. However, the
> executable is NOT created/generated. Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Below is my makefile in my example directory which is located in:
> static_analysis/build/release/tools/clang/tools/example

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone :-)

I have a very similar setup for IWYU that I rarely use, and I couldn't
get it to work yesterday.

My guess is that the Autotools/Make system is no longer working, and
that CMake is the way to go. The docs for the build system warns that
it's deprecated and will be removed:
http://llvm.org/docs/BuildingLLVMWithAutotools.html

That said, I can heartily recommend plugging into the CMake system, it
gives you a lot of portability for free. Look at the CMakeLists.txt
for the Clang tools to get started.

- Kim