[cfe-dev] RFC: allow modules found via -fmodule-map-file to shadow implicitly discovered modules

Ben Langmuir via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 13 10:27:42 PST 2015

> [...]
>>>
>>> If there are two modules with the same name and *neither* of them comes from -fmodule-map-file, then it is a redefinition error just like it is today.
>>>
>>> Why not use header search path order to do shadowing?
>>>
>>> I originally thought we should just allow modules that come from earlier search paths to shadow modules from later ones.  This would avoid having to use an extra flag -fmodule-map-file, and let us infer the module configuration “for free”, since users are already accustomed to setting up their header search paths.  However, there are a number of problems with this approach:
>>>
>>> * Module map files from “later” search paths are often parsed ahead of module map files from “earlier” paths.  We would either need to eagerly parse module map files from all search paths in order (slow), or we would need to be able to retroactively make a module shadowed (brittle).
>>> * Module map lookup does not know about search paths, so when searching for a module map file by umbrella directory we don't know when we cross search path boundaries
>>> * We would need to lock down the HeaderSearch interface to prevent modifying search path order in the middle of a build (although that might be a generally good thing…)
>>>
>>> The direction here makes complete sense to me.
>>>
>>> My patch implementing this is attached for reference.
>>>
>>> This seems to be somewhat more general than we need for the above proposal -- it supports a fully-general set of scopes, whereas it would seem sufficient to track a flag to indicate whether the module came from a -fmodule-map-file= file or from an implicit module map file. Do you have some future extension in mind that would need more than 2 different scopes?
>>
>> Nothing concrete, although it feels like if we might someday be able to get at least one other scope for the default system search paths.  The reason I chose to not just use a flag was - perhaps embarrassingly - that I haven’t been able to come up with a nice way to express what that “flag” is to the ModuleMap class without defining it in terms of our command-line interface, which feels like a conceptual layering violation.  I’m open to suggestions thought :-)
>>
>> The flag seems to be whether the module map is explicit or implicit, but that's more at the level of HeaderSearch's world view than ModuleMap’s.
>
> In that case it should apply to -fmodule-file as well, right?
>
> I would expect this flag to be round-tripped through module files, and should depend on whether the file was found implicitly or explicitly when building the module. That would mean you can no longer assume you see all the explicit modules before any of the implicit ones, because an explicit module file can reference an implicit module map (if the user specifies both a -fmodule-file= and a -fmodule-map-file= where the former uses an implicit module and the latter provides a different module with the same name).

My expectation would be:

If an -fmodule-file=Foo.pcm matches with an -fmodule-map-file=Foo.modulemap then everything is fine, and it will shadow any other module named Foo.  But if it conflicts with an -fmodule-map-file=OtherFoo.modulemap then I would expect it to be an error regardless of whether Foo.pcm was built with an implicit or explicit module map file. We could detect this immediately after reading the control block of the module file, which we do eagerly.

I suppose that still leaves the case where -fmodule-file=Foo.pcm was built with an implicit module map, and we now find a different implicit module map.  I don’t have a strong feeling either way.  If we went with round-tripping the explicitness like you suggested I think that would be okay. In this limited case, the fact that we might encounter implicit modules before explicit ones should be fine since any modules with the same name in the union of modules specified by -fmodule-file and -fmodule-map-file would be an error.

On the other hand, part of me feels that specifying -fmodule-file is in some sense “explicit” about how that module should be resolved.  That would argue for letting modules specified with -fmodule-file shadow implicit modules.  I admit I haven’t been following the explicit side of things very closely, so maybe this violates the model.

Ben