[cfe-dev] clang++ as drop-in g++ replacement

Jeenu Viswambharan via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 6 06:40:01 PST 2015

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 10:03 AM, James Molloy <james at jamesmolloy.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Jeenu,
>
> Your command line looks fairly correct. Clang falls back to the system
> linker when it fails to find a cross linker. A couple of things:
>
> 1. In the sysroot that Linaro package, "libc" is a subdirectory of
> "aarch64-linux-gnu". It looks like this is not the case for you - can I
> confirm that "/path/to/aarch64/gcc" contains the directory
> "aarch64-linux-gnu"?

Yes, it does.

> 2. clang-3.4 is very old to be working on AArch64. It was the first release
> that contained AArch64 as a target and while we did our best to make it
> conformant, it was still fairly beta. clang-3.5 was the best release for
> AArch64 - it contained the backend merge and a bunch of work on its
> conformance. I'd recommend upgrading to clang-3.7, but at least to
> clang-3.5.

I moved to 3.6 (installed from package manager), but that too wouldn't
pick the right linker. After searching around, I gathered the -B
option to GCC, which I found working with clang too. So with
-B/path/to/aarch64/gcc/aarch64-linux-gnu/bin clang picks the AArch64
linker.

I couldn't find it documented with --help that clang would take -B
option though.

--
Jeenu