[cfe-dev] Why does integer overflow sanitizer exits the program with zero exit code

Alexey Samsonov via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 3 16:43:09 PST 2015

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 3:26 PM, Riyad Parvez via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Thanks a lot.
>
> I had decided to detect overflow by SIGABRT. The issue SIGABRT is also
> thorwn by when assertion violation occurs. So SIGABRT is not the perfect
> indicator of overflow.
>
> I see all the arithmetic operations are performed by
> "__ubsan_handle_*_overflow" built-in functions. If I catch SIGABRT,
> "__ubsan_handle_*_overflow" functions in the stack, can I safely assume the
> program is terminated in overflow?

Probably yes: if one of these function was called by the program, it will
certainly report an overflow. In theory, we don't guarantee that the names
of these functions will stay the same, or that we always report overflows
through them (i.e. it's an implementation detail), but in practice it would
unlikely change soon.

> Thanks,
> Riyad
>
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 3:01 PM, Kostya Serebryany <kcc at google.com> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 11:35 AM, Riyad Parvez <riyad.parvez at uwaterloo.ca
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting! "UBSAN_OPTIONS=halt_on_error=1:abort_on_error=1" works
>>> fine, but just "UBSAN_OPTIONS=abort_on_error=1" doesn't work. Is it by
>>> design?
>>>

>> sort of.
>> by default, ubsan simply does not exit, so it does not care about
>> abort_on_error.

Alexey Samsonov
vonosmas at gmail.com