[cfe-dev] Failure compiling Clang

Javier Múgica javier_3 at runbox.com
Wed May 20 23:51:08 PDT 2015

Hello:

I'm trying to set up a working Clang on my Windows 7 computer. I followed the instructions on the web page to the letter. I just downloaded yesterday everything, even Visual Studio 2015 itself. There are 9 projects that do not build, and very important ones, like clang itself. Of those nine some fail at link time because of previous failures, so that there are actually only two projects that fail when compiling:

clangAST  clangSerialization

I attach the error log.

By the way, this is typical of free software: you follow the instructions for installing some piece of software and it just doesn't work. Of course, I like free software and contribute when possible, but my point is that their developers usually do not pay enough attention to newcomers; i.e., they have their software in a state which is suitable for those that already understant how it works and it is difficult for those arriving at it for the first time. This time, however, I almost got my working Clang. In contrast, two years ago it failed that soon that I didn't bother to continue further and try fixing the problem.

I hope within some time I will change from newcomer to expert, hence to contributer.

Regards