[cfe-dev] LLVM IRC channel flooded?

Philip Reames listmail at philipreames.com
Wed May 20 10:47:31 PDT 2015

On 05/19/2015 10:40 AM, James Y Knight wrote:
> Yes, I also find the amount of bot spam in #llvm is basically
> intolerable. It makes it difficult to see actual people talking. At
> first, I just put all the bots on /ignore. Now I have an xchat script
> to move the botspam to another tab (tabify-004.pl
> <http://tabify-004.pl/>). I'd recommend that the bots should just be
> moved to #llvm-bots and fix the problem for everyone. Those who are
> committing changes can join that channel, too, and others don't care.
>
> While we're on this subject, I also find the official buildbot page
> (lab.llvm.org:8011 <http://lab.llvm.org:8011/>) almost unusable, since
> so many columns are either always red, or else are so flaky that they
> basically randomly alternate between passing and failing. So, at a
> glance, it's impossible to tell whether the current state of the tree
> is good. (I certainly haven't memorized which ones are "supposed" to
> be red, and which are not. Maybe others have). Having flaky and
> always-failing builds show up on the buildbot pages, and notifying
> IRC, really has negative utility, since it not only is not providing
> useful information, but is serving to obscure the actual important
> failures, and causing people to spend time investigating non-problems.
>
> Someone gave me the hint to use the http://bb.pgr.jp/ buildbot page
> instead, which was a great recommendation -- that page shows problems
> much more clearly. But it's unfortunate that there *needs* to be a
> separate "sane builders only" buildmaster.
>
> E.g. (and not to pick on this particular bot, this is just one example
> of many):
> http://lab.llvm.org:8011/builders/clang-native-arm-cortex-a9/builds/27655 --
> passed, while the previous failed. But, it's not caused by the commit,
> it's just arbitrary.
>
> Or, yesterday, on #llvm: "Anyone want to give me a clue as to why this
> bot failed?
> http://lab.llvm.org:8011/builders/sanitizer-x86_64-linux/builds/18017"
> -- answer: because it's randomly broken. Wasted the questioner's time
> trying to investigate the failure.
>

> If all the flaky or always-broken builder configurations got hidden
> from the main pages of buildbot, and stopped sending emails/IRC
> notifications to anyone but their "owner", that would be a substantial
> improvement.
+1, this is a really good summary of issues.  I'm in full support of any
and all efforts to reduce noise here.

I've gotten to the point where I only watch a small handful bots.
Anything other than that, I pretty much ignore unless someone emails me
directly or replies to a commit.  I'm not quite to point of marking
buildbot emails as spam, but I'm definitely not paying them much
attention either.  One particular irritant is getting emails 12-24 hours
later about someone else's breakage that has *already been fixed*.  The
long cycling bots are really irritating in that respect.