[cfe-dev] LLVM IRC channel flooded?

Jonathan Roelofs jonathan at codesourcery.com
Tue May 19 10:42:02 PDT 2015

On 5/19/15 11:28 AM, Chris Matthews wrote:
> If “flooding” is the issue, the only long term solution is to A) have
> a bot channel that can be flooded or B) curate the list of bots which
> notify IRC.

Realistically, who is going to subscribe to such a bot channel in (A)? I
probably wouldn't. The point is to tame the noise, not hide it.

(B) sounds useful regardless.

> A more fun solution would be to have the bots implement a first
> failure policy for notifications.  We move the bots to their own
> channel, then have an IRC bot watch that channel for failures, parse
> the rev, and only notify if it is the first to find a failure at that
> rev.

Ack.

> I agree that long blame lists are useless and should be removed. URL
> shortening would add a dependence on an external service which is a
> new source of failure and trust.

It doesn't have to be an external service...

http://lab.llvm.org:<port>/<hash>

Isn't /so/ bad, and is leaps & bounds better than the existing URLs.
Granted, then maintaining that services becomes our problem as a community.

Jon