[cfe-dev] LLVM IRC channel flooded?

Justin Bogner mail at justinbogner.com
Tue May 19 09:50:35 PDT 2015

Jonathan Roelofs <jonathan at codesourcery.com> writes:
> On 5/19/15 8:58 AM, Renato Golin wrote:
>> On 19 May 2015 at 15:48, Jonathan Roelofs <jonathan at codesourcery.com> wrote:
>>> Also, perhaps the URLs should be shortened?
>>
>> That's a good idea.
>>

>>> The format could be: [botname]: [buildername] [short_url]
>>> ("Passed"|"Failed:" [usernames])
>>
>> The only reason to show "Passed" results is if they were failing
>> before, as a confirmation that whatever you did to fix, worked.
>> Otherwise, they're just noise.
>
> Good point.
>
> [botname]: [buildername] [short_url] [revision] ("Fixed:"|"FAILED:")
> [usernames]

Most (I thought all) of the bots already do the fixed failed thing.
There's something to be said for a consistent format though, and it'd be
nice if more of the bots mentioned the revision (green-dragon does, but
llvmbb and bb-chapuni don't).

The other thing that would help is limiting the number of names that can
show up on a blamelist. If there are a hundred names on the blamelist
the message is way too long and the notifications don't help much. The
green-dragon bot just says "[n] people on blamelist" instead in these
cases.

> Should the bots blame people for fixes?

I don't think so - if you fixed it intentionally you usually know it,
and if not it's just another beeping window to ignore.